Title: Parish Administrator
Reports to: Rector, St. George’s Episcopal Church
Hours: 20-25 hours/week. Schedule to be determined in collaboration with the Rector.
Compensation: $17 – $20/hour, depending on experience and qualifications
Status: Regular Part-time, Non-exempt
Under supervision of the Rector, the Parish Administrator provides general office support to the parish, staff, congregation and committees, in support of the ministries and mission of St. George’s Episcopal Church. This work includes, but is not limited to: data and records management, phone and email support, supplies and inventory management, communications work, managing use of church space by parish and outside groups, supporting church ministries and committees and collaborating with volunteers.
The Parish Administrator will be a resource person for both members and non-members, and a welcoming and responsive presence in our church’s office. There may be other duties not explicitly stated herein, that may fall to the Parish Administrator in the normal course of parish life.
The Parish Administrator will have specific responsibility in the following areas of parish operations:
- Provide a welcoming and helpful presence in the parish office
- Respond to requests for information and resources via email, telephone, and/or in-person visits
- Provide administrative support to vestry or other committees, including: preparing meeting documents, posting minutes, making document copies, sending out mailings, etc.
- Place orders for supplies and equipment as authorized
- Coordinate with the treasurer to maintain parish financial records
- Coordinate with vendors as delegated by Rector, Wardens and/or Building & Grounds Committee
- Produce rosters, correspondences, and other documents
- Sort incoming mail, and send parish mailing and other outgoing mail
- Maintain and manage parish calendar
- Maintain a functional system of communication with the parish
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate parish records, including financial, membership, diocesan, physical plant, and other operational data
- Produce timely reports, directories, and other documents from parish records under the direction of the Rector, vestry, and committee leadership
- Coordinate the parish calendar to document and facilitate building use by internal and authorized external groups
- Produce and distribute via email and/or regular mail the monthly parish newsletter
- Assist with preparing and distributing marketing materials, as directed
- Assist with managing the church’s online presence (website and Facebook pages, online advertising, etc.)
- Ensure the outdoor sign is updated regularly to reflect current events and activities.
- Assist with preparing and proofing worship materials and bulletins for Sunday morning and other services
- Prepare flower donations information, assist with the coordination of lectionary and ministry schedules, sending reminders as scheduled
- Provide assistance with tracking the liturgical calendar and planning for church events, as needed.
- Coordinate with the Buildings and Grounds Committee to provide routine maintenance of the building
- Arrange for emergency repairs as necessary including scheduling appointments for technicians when repair and/or tuning is necessary for the church organ and/or piano
- Serve as contact person for concerns from groups using the building
- Be in direct communication with renters addressing their concerns and maintaining a positive working relationship
- Maintain the inventory of building keys managing the distribution of keys to various persons
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong writing and grammar skills, including editing and proofreading
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Publisher, Word, Excel
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including scheduling, project coordination, and prioritization.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage workload
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times regarding persons and information
- Knowledge of office etiquette and effective communications skills
- Knowledge of supply procurement, including the ability to research vendor prices and negotiate costs
- Basic knowledge of invoice and purchase order transactions
- Welcoming disposition, willingness to accept and serve all who come to St. George’s Episcopal Church
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Minimum 3 years of office and communications experience is required
- Experience in a church or other ministry setting is preferred
- Associate’s degree in administration, communications, office support, or other elated area is desired
- Must pass background investigation to comply with church requirements.
To apply, send a resume and a cover letter detailing your skills and experience to: